Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

Tax Policy and the Bible

Some Thoughts

In the Bible, a general standard is set for a tithe (that is, a part of what one makes that is to be set aside specifically for God and His work).  This standard is set as one tenth.


Genesis 14:18-20:


And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. (He was priest of God Most High.) And he blessed him and said,
   "Blessed be Abram by God Most High,
   Possessor of heaven and earth;
    and blessed be God Most High,
   who has delivered your enemies into your hand!"

And Abram gave him a tenth of everything.


Genesis 28:20-22:


Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father’s house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God, and this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God’s house. And of all that you give me I will give a full tenth to you."


I sited only two passages, and the issue of tithing isn't as simple as giving one tenth, but all that is beside my point.
This is my point:  Who is the government to claim more importance than God?
Therefore, I would argue that a government built on Biblical principles should be limited in how much it can tax an individual, and it should be limited to 10%.
In fact, 9% would be better.  Then it could be divided into nice clean thirds.
Limit local government to 3%.
Limit state government to 3%.
And limit the federal government to 3%.

1 comment:

Mary Ruth Pursselley said...

Good post, as always, James. I add my 'Amen' to your point.